Tuesday 26 March 2013

Ashes to ashes

I missed 清明 this year :( It has always been a hot but cosy family affair.

In land scarce Singapore, I think most people cremate their dead. I just found out that even if you choose to be buried, you will be exhumed in 15 years to be cremated and stored in columbaria niches, unless you're buried for religious reasons, in which case you will be re-buried in a smaller plot of land.

Um, wa liao?!

I've decided long ago that I want to be cremated. But instead of being kept in an urn and collecting dust in a columbaria niche or in the home of my descendants, I want to be scattered into the sea. It's possible to do that - found this on the NEA website:

"The scattering of small amounts of ashes can be carried out at the designated site located about 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) south of Pulau Semakau. The scattering of ashes can be conducted daily, from 0700 hrs-1900 hours. For further information on scattering of ashes, please call the Port Marine Safety Control Centre at telephone number: 6325 2488."

Now, Sito and ZK, please take note :) Remember me in your heart instead of in an urn.

No comments:

Post a Comment