Sunday 10 July 2011

4Rs

Woke up happy today but I read this. Now I'm sad :(

I mean, I eat meat. I love meat. I've even had whale meat before! And I use plastic, a lot. But this, whales dying from ingesting plastic dumped into the ocean? It shouldn't have happened. Who would throw plastic into the sea anyway?!

Actually, I used to be quite environmentally conscious. Perhaps it stemmed from hearing about the instability of our water supply etc since I was a kid. So I was careful about not wasting water. That kind of extended to other areas, especially the use of plastic, when I started working and found that after a meeting, people threw mineral water bottles away because there was no recycling plan for them. The worse part was that many of these were barely half drunk! When reusable bags became popular, I was quite frustrated too because I found them to be another form of waste - earlier thoughts here.

But in the past couple of years, I haven't been doing my part. Especially last year when Sito and I used to buy mixed rice from downstairs for dinner - styrofoam, plastic spoons, plastic bags! Tsk tsk..

Time to do my part! I'll use fewer ziplock bags to freeze marinated meat, cover food with a plate instead of cling film, turn off the TV when I'm not watching, reject plastic utensils when buying takeouts..

And I want to share an article C wrote for the local green movement in May, "Plastic pollution and daily solutions". Refuse, reduce, reuse and recycle!

And of course, throw rubbish where it belongs!

No comments:

Post a Comment